Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Les Droits Civiques

A few new things:

Yesterday a women's rights lawyer named Daba Gaye came to talk to us. The lecture was in french, like all of our lectures, but I had read up ahead of time about this one I understood mostly everything. Senegal is absolutely a democratic country on paper, with laws protecting all people from discrimination on the basis of gender. Yet it fails almost completely in the practice of some of these laws. It's hard to summarize a two hour discussion, but here are some points I found the most interesting.

Polygamy is legal in Senegal, which I knew, but this is how it legally happens. Right after a couple is married they (meaning the husband) decide whether it is a polygamous or a monogamous marriage and then sign the contract. It is taboo to talk about which one it will be ahead of time.

Abortion is completely illegal even in cases of rape or incest. Infanticide is the number one reason women in Senegal go to prison.

Just this year a law was passed protecting women from HIV/AIDS. Before that, nothing.

There are laws protecting women against sexual assault and harassment and domestic abuse...BUT.

Gaye said that an estimated 70% of women in Senegal are illiterate. This means that many women in Senegal not only cannot write or read in Wolof (or another native language, there are many) but that they cannot read or write in french, the language of the central government and all legal documents. Gaye said it is incredibly challenging for a woman to pursue a lawsuit.

I already knew my independent study project was going to do with women's rights here, but now I'm more fired up. I'll let you all know what else I learn.

This past weekend we went to the beach Ndaali, which is a couple hours south of Dakar. First, the drive was absolutely stunning, and I got to see miles and miles of green things for the first time here. It was wonderful to be away from the smog of Dakar. I knew I wasn't a city person already, but now I KNOW. Why didn't anyone ever ask me why I was studying in a city before I left? I'm learning to find other ways to love it, but I really miss the outside. That's why Ndaali was amazing. The program actually rented out two hotel rooms at this beautiful tropical resort for the day. A sweet grass roof, a bathroom without cockroaches, fans, ocean breeze....we spent the entire day on a nearly empty beach. I was looking forward to a cool, refreshing swim, but alas, not even the ocean in Senegal can escape the heat. I never knew ocean could feel like bath water. So a day of sunshine, salt water, and frisbee. Perfect. On the bus ride back they revealed to us that we will be staying there for our last week when we do presentations. Seems like it will be the perfect ending to my semester....laying on the beach while all of my friends take finals.



On Friday I'll be gone for nine days adventuring in Northern Senegal close to the border of Mauritania. I'm going to try to write again before then so I will let you know about that trip soon!

1 comment:

  1. If we had asked why a city would it have changed your mind? I think not, my girl has to experience things and this is turning out to be ALOT to experience. Awesome posting - thanks! Mom

    And BTW, I'm not worried that you'll get hurt on the border, but kidnapped or accused or something! Ahh! Always a mom XXOO

    ReplyDelete