Adventures of the last week:
Yesterday I went to play ultimate frisbee at l'ecole internationale. Two of my best friends here play for their colleges and have been dying to play. (one of them, Christina, is a national champion from U Oregon). Our friend has been going to Jewish services for the high holidays at the Israeli Ambassador's house and we learned that his family started pick up frisbee every Thursday with all of the foreigners that live in Dakar. It was unbelievably fun and so hard. It's tough to exercise at all in this heat, and yesterday got to a pleasant 102. It was also really weird to be around so many english speaking people, even though they were from all over- South Africa, Japan, Nigeria, Holland, Germany, France, etc. This man named Gideon was on my team and he was really amazing, and at the end my friend Raghav said: you know that's the ambassador right? So yeah I played ultimate with the Israeli ambassador to Senegal, no big deal. I scored once it was great and I'm still so sore.
Today we went to Gorée island, which is maybe simultaneously the most beautiful and horrifying place I've ever been. I'm going to have to write a real post about this soon including pictures, but basically the island is full of prisons because something like 80% of west african slaves passed through this island on their way to the americas. Yet the colors are stunning. All of the buildings are turquoise and gold and terracotta and there's GREEN THINGS which was so exciting.
It was my friend Bailee's birthday on Wednesday and it was fun to have something to celebrate. After a very lengthy conversation with Nogaye trying to describe what peanut butter is she showed me a five gallon bucket of it in my house. So I gave Bailee peanut butter for her birthday (we're all dying for a change in diet) and after school we just walked to the beach/cliffs and it was really wonderful to all catch up because it seems like we're going going going all the time.
These stories aren't nearly sufficient in describing life here, and when I have a minute Sunday I will add more pictures and write more. Tomorrow we're going to the beach all day and I'm so excited to go in the ocean- anything to cool off.
No comments:
Post a Comment